Winter is Coming (please read this in a Game of Thrones voice! Haha!) That’s right friends, cold and flu season is bearing down on us and for some families, this means coughs, colds and snotty noses! With these tips, here’s to breezing through the winter months without so much as a sniffle!
- Find yourself a good Naturopath and/or Health Food Store to get assistance in finding the perfect supplements and support for your body. Personally, my Naturopath has recommended that I take a high quality probiotic; Vitamins C & D and a specific immune boosting liquid herbal mixture. Now, each of us is completely different to the next, so it’s important to ensure you receive information based on your specific needs from a trusted practitioner.
- Having a regular Chiropractic adjustment is so important for my continued health and well-being. Currently, I’m attending fortnightly and it’s made a huge amount of difference to my overall health. Chiropractic adjustments have a range of benefits including reduced stress, increase of white blood cells (key to fighting off infection & disease); improvement to overall immune system function and communication.
- Rest, rest and rest! Winter is traditionally a slower time in our lives and generally involves a lot more time being spent in the home. Don’t be afraid to embrace this slower pace; go inward, rest, meditate, read your favourite books; enjoy a movie with the family.
- Our eating habits also change in the cooler months but staying hydrated with at least 2 litres of filtered water each day will help flush out any nasty toxins or funky bugs that are lurking about. It can be harder to keep up the water intake though when it’s cooler, so I try and add in some herbal teas including fresh ginger and lemon. I also love a good chai or chamomile!
- Crack out the Slow Cooker! Winter is the perfect time to embrace soups, stews and curries and also means we’re keeping up the balanced diet with the inclusion of lots of nice, hearty veg! Steer clear of foods like dairy, sugars and refined foods as they create mucous.
- Treat your temple! That’s right my friends, make sure you keep loving and nurturing your body. I continue my self-love by maintaining my dry body brushing, tongue scrapping and apply my essential oils topically (as well as using them in my diffuser throughout the house). Haven’t heard of tongue scrapping? Stay tuned, we’ll have something up for you soon.
- Get your Yogi on my friend! Yoga has some great immune boosting postures and practices to help keep you feeling healthy and keep the coughs and snotty noses away here are some of my personal favourites:
- Alternate Nostril Breaths – helps to balance the right and left side of the brain; boosts immunity and clears the sinuses.
- Child’s Pose – helps relieve bronchial congestion and opens and aligns the body through the chest and back.
- Cobra – opens up the chest; stimulates the immune system and thymus gland and helps to prevent pneumonia.
- Legs up the Wall – another immune booster but also helps us to calm the body and re-set your nervous system.
Hopefully some of the above tips will help keep you and your family well over this Winter season. Let me know what works for you in the comments below – I’d love to hear from you.
Love, Aimee x